asparagus, radish & mint salad with feta

You’d think a blog with the word salad in its title might occasionally feature a salad recipe. In the case of this blog, you’d be wrong. To date, When Harry Met Salad features only one recipe for salad, a late spring salad that also highlights asparagus. The truth is we don’t eat much salad worth mentioning. Chris doesn’t like it (!!!) and I generally can’t be bothered to do much more than dress greens with vinaigrette for just me. But last weekend I fanned my farmers market purchases out over the dining room table and arranged them to photograph. I nestled a bunch of tiny pink radishes in alongside bright green stalks of asparagus and admired the graceful curve and deep purple-greenness of wild mint, and when I looked through the viewfinder of my camera I immediately thought salad. This is that salad.

I sliced the radishes and asparagus into coins and drizzled them with olive oil, lemon juice, and a little honey. Then I tossed in a handful of chopped mint, seasoned the vegetables with salt and white pepper, and carefully folded in crumbled bits of incredibly creamy local feta. And because I was also in the middle of a chive blossom vinegar project, I finished the whole thing off with a smattering of chive blossoms. Sometimes I get a little carried away.

“Hmmm, that looks like something I wouldn’t like,” Chris observed when I emerged, crunching, from the kitchen. And it’s true: he wouldn’t. But you might. With or without the chive blossoms, this salad is really lovely. It’s fresh and crisp and pleasantly vegetal. The sharp, peppery flavor of the radishes and the tender greenness of the raw asparagus mingle with the sweet, aromatic notes of mint, and all this bright freshness is beautifully balanced by the creamy tang of goat’s milk feta. It’s a salad that’s delicious in its simplicity, a salad that captures the fleeting flavors of early summer and hints at the bounty yet to come, a salad that’s totally worth making for just you.

Asparagus, Radish & Mint Salad with Feta
serves 4
printable recipe

1 lb. fresh asparagus
2 bunches radishes
3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
½ tsp. honey
3 Tbsp. mint, chopped
4 oz. feta, crumbled
salt and white pepper, to taste
2 chive blossoms (optional)

Slice the asparagus and radishes into thin coins or discs, slicing as thinly as you can. (I tried this with both a mandoline and a knife —  the knife was actually faster and easier.) Transfer to medium bowl and drizzle the olive oil, lemon juice and honey over the vegetables; stir to combine. Fold in mint and feta; season with salt and pepper to taste. If using the chive blossoms to garnish, separate the individual florets from the large blossom and scatter over the salad. Serve immediately.

1. Okay, I am sold. This looks like something I would like VERY much. It never would have occurred to me to combine all these things, but wow – it sounds (and looks) fantastic. We are getting our very first CSA produce box of the season this week, and I’m hoping it will contain some radishes and asparagus! If not I’ll have to go pick some up because this is definitely on my list. Thanks for sharing!

June 13, 2011 at 8:19 am

• I love the promise of a CSA box! For the past two summers I was part of a CSA program (with my oft-mentioned favorite farmer) where I worked on the farm in exchange for my share. It was so rewarding, and I loved being that connected to the food I was eating. Sadly, I’m not doing it this summer because I’m just too busy, but I still buy most of my produce from the farm. Same vegetables, but a lot less weeding.

June 13, 2011 at 8:48 am

2. I was hoping you’d make something yummy with those radishes! We have two bunches from our CSA and I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with them. I honestly don’t think I’ve ever eaten a radish. Thanks for this great recipe, and all of your beautiful photographs that make it look almost too good to eat… almost!

June 13, 2011 at 8:36 am

• I hadn’t eaten radishes until a few years ago, actually. My favorite thing to do with them is to chop them up into tiny bits ( a food processor is great for this) and mix them with softenend butter and coarse salt to make a spread. You can even chop up some of the radish greens and mix them in as well. It’s awesome just spread on crackers, and I make it for pretty much every party that I’m invited to.

June 13, 2011 at 8:52 am

3. We just planted another batch of radishes, and this looks like a perfect recipe to use them for! I just starting roasting radishes (only for about 10-15 mns in the oven) before tossing them in salads or using them to dip in hummus. They are great!

June 14, 2011 at 2:47 pm

4. vrc211

This sounds AMAZING. I can’t wait to try it!

June 15, 2011 at 9:50 pm

5. Awesome photos, as always. We’ve gotten lots of green and radishes in our first two farm shares so thanks for all these ideas.

June 17, 2011 at 3:10 pm

6. I have so many radish in my yard, this is one to try!

June 18, 2011 at 8:14 am

7. I love this recipe!! I can’t wait to try it :) I am so glad I found your blog – about a year ago, my mom discovered you by searching for lavender cookies (we were thinking about making some for my upcoming wedding). Well, in the chaos that is wedding planning, your lovely blog was lost to us. I have been trying to find you ever since then, and am so glad that I finally did! And it’s a small world, because here you are on wordpress.com :) stop by my little blog sometime and say hi – I’m looking forward to your recipes!

Katherine

June 25, 2011 at 10:38 pm

8. Hurrah, that’s what I was looking for, what a
    stuff! present here at this weblog, thanks admin of this site.

April 23, 2014 at 1:34 pm